Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Push and the Pop!

I was returning home after an arduous day at work, pushing a labouring bike to take me at speeds greater than permissible. Traffic snarls, indecently fast vehicles (Vis-a-vis pulsars and their kin), monstrously large trucks and bullocks were trying their best to impede my steady progress towards home.

Such was the case when i was suddenly overtaken at close (5 mm ?) range by a dude in an old tvs suzuki. Yes i knew that i was out matched here, his being a splendid 2 stroke..... hmm.... what could i do.... i had nothing else to do..... So i did the only insensible thing; i pursued him....
he was 4 m ahead by then, driving with a panache rarely seen on road. this guy knew his stuff. I was going a steady (and paltry) 55 kmph in the 4th gear. my first action was to reduce my gear to the 3rd. Ha! the bliss of pushing a bike.... :-) A roar that would make an RX100 proud ensued from my platina. the throttle was at max. but i wasnt mad (not yet) so i cudnt keep it up for long.

my intentions were conveyed loud and clear with that challenge. The gauntlet was thrown and acknowledged with a corresponding roar from that real! 2 stroke.

but traffic, that ever present viscosity on our roads kept the contest out of the racing pages while we still managed to enter the league of mad drivers. there was no dearth of angry horns as the pursuit continued.

his acceleration was better, much better than mine. but i had one advantage. i was attuned to the traffic, knew its nuances. so where he swerved wide of overtaking cars, i drove right in between, squeezed in between close riding bikes, drove over mush, cactus and the occasional pothole.

And then as the race heated up, up came the porur signal, that web of un surpassable tarffic block. we lost sight of each other.
just as i cleared my way to the head of the waiting traffic (u can think of the feat as akin to driving over car roofs) my adversary was just ahead.

Something caught my eye.
it was red and written in his number plate above his numbers.
it was in tamil.
i edged closer to read it.

and then it was over.
i had to switch off my bike and take a break.
this guy was a genius.
i had to admit it.

what i saw above his number plate was .....

" MAMA BISCOTHU"

No comments: